Did you know blue is the most common favorite color in the world for both men and women? It’s no wonder people love sapphires. This beautiful gemstone has always played a role in history. In Ancient Rome & Greece, it was believed those who worn the stone were protected from envy & harm. Here are 5 things you need to know about sapphires:
- Sapphire is the birthstone of September. It’s also the 5th and 45th wedding anniversaries. What better way to celebrate these moments with a sapphire.
- Sapphire is part of the corundum family; along with ruby. It comes in an array of colors; aside from the ruby red. Colorful sapphires are called fancy sapphires and come in a rainbow of colors; from yellow to violet. There are also color changing sapphires that alter colors based on the lighting. There are so many different options with sapphires; you could easily create a beautiful anniversary ring as well as a birthday gift.
- The most famous sapphire engagement ring is Princess Diana’s and now Kate Middleton. Using sapphire in an engagement ring is a great option for those who want something less traditional or want a specific color in the center rather than a white diamond.
- Sapphires are 9 on the Mohs hardness scale. A diamond is 10 on the Mohs hardness scale. If we were to recommend a color stone in an engagement or wedding ring; we would recommend a sapphire; because of the hardness.
- The symbolism of sapphire is truth, loyalty, and sincerity; among others. When you give a sapphire, you are professing your loyalty to your loved one.
With all these great features to a colored gemstone; you can’t pass up the opportunity to add sapphire jewelry to your collection.